Monday, May 4, 2009

Blue Springs

Some pictures from our first official Baseball game





Welcome to Blue Springs Hometown of David Cook - American Idol 2008 - we saw that sign while entering the city. Each of us went to meet our new families and I had the wonderful surprise of being received by a couple, Sonja & Eric Johnson with 3 wonderful kids, Emily (8), Collin (5) & Haley (3) - the kids called me Miss E; Emily wrote the welcome that immediately made me fall for all of them. Sonja's father is from South Africa and Mark, her brother is currently in SA with the GSE Team from Missouri.


On friday morning we went to Lee Summit for another presentation and after that we went to our vocational day... In the afternoon we had such a nice experience... we went to The Blue Springs Police Departament, we were enterviwed by the local newspaped (Saturday front page - cool) and each of us went out on duty with one police officer. Guess what was my first request?? Can you turn on the syrenes (don't know if well written, but I mean the lights and the sound)... Officer Matt just laughed and turn it on ehehhe. Anelize really had some action... they arrested someone...

Private Yssel was considered missed in action from 9h00 until 18h00.

(Because I went with Ken on a tour through much of Kansas City. The highlight of this was our visit to the TWA Aviation museum. Can some of you remember who that was??? Yes, Trans World Airlines founded by Howard Hughes. I got to climb in and walk around in a Connie (Constelation) which is fully restored and will be flying later this year. Any aviator knows how rare this aircraft has become.)

As young people we all went out at night to a local Bar with live music, were they annouced that a Southern Africa team was visiting.... coool we got free drinks hehhehe

Saturday was our free day with our host family. Yssel went to a kids baseball game and a barbeque. Candice was missing, not heard a thing from her... she was ate the Lake House...humn fency girl. Anelize & I, went bowling, we had fun.. yes because with our performance, can't say we played...duh..

After that we met John and Kent (his host) and drove to Olathe, Kansas, to race on Nascart...how cool you think it was??? No no think higher... cooooooool... sad and funny part, I am such a short person for US standard that had to change car for a smaller and slower, so had to drive on the left side so that everybody could pass me...HUMPF... even thou I wasnt the last on both races ahahahah

Sunday was another day with our host families, and Candy girl went to fish for the first time in her life... pretty neat, she caught 3 fishes... I wonder if the lake has so many fishes or she is that good??? She was great according to Pat (both are legal advisers...)
In the afternoon we had another hard time.... goodbye dinner... oh boy this is the hardest part from our trip... we did a presentation for the Blue Springs Rotary club and DG Elizabeth watched... again...and she laughed from our jokes...again.... I wonder how she does it? Pretty neat lady (new sentence in my life hhehe) This afternoon we will depart to Parkville for more adventures.

1 comment:

  1. Euridice I'm glad to see my family is showing you a good time. I think they are pretty nice as well. Sounds like you are doing some great things in our area so I'm sure you're having as much fun as we are! See you next weekend, Mark

    ReplyDelete